Sunday, February 27, 2011

Master Bathroom: Cabinets

We were busy this weekend with the master bathroom... again! Are y'all sick of it yet? I AM! Ha!

Mr. Mal-licious and I tried a new product this weekend. We wanted to paint our cabinets and I saw this product on Centsational Girl. It's called Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations. It comes with a helpful instructional DVD and it comes with pretty much everything except rags, brushes and gloves. We still aren't completely done, so don't expect to get it done in one weekend unless you are working around the clock. We bought it at Home Depot and it's about $80.

If you are looking into it here's how it went for us:

**Editor's note: Click here to see the finished bathroom**




Take all the cabinet doors off and set them up on nails/screws.

Degloss with a scouring padThat's my hubby (my legs aren't that hairy!) ;)

This is not fun or easy. I do not like scrubbing anything.

Wipe it off and let it dry.


We painted it "Espresso".





(don't worry we fixed that little pool of paint)

So here it is so far! We just painted the "Top Coat" which is the last step. (You can also add a glaze which we opted out of)

We like the product so far. It does take a while and some elbow grease but it would take that anyway you look at it! It would take a pretty long time to do an entire kitchen.

Can't wait to see it in my bathroom! Maybe tomorrow!! :)

Linking to: Debbiedoos & Whatever Goes Wednesdays

19 comments:

  1. That is fabulous. You are doing a great job. THanks for joining my newbie party. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the color!! Can't wait to see the final reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mal, you and the hubs, have done an amazing tranformation..can't wait to see the results in place in the masterbath.

    I love "espresso & ebony",so dramatic, I have cabinets done with ebony, I love 'em.
    ~Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you like the Espresso finish? Do you think the colors come out darker than on the box? I want a really dark brown in my bathroom not black. And I am dying to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far so good. Can't wait to see it as I need to do something similar to my master bathroom also. I recently painted my kitchen cabinets and it sure was tedious but totally worth it! Take a peek if you have a chance! Can't wait to see your final result.

    http://carnoustielane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, this is the color I want to do for my bathroom cabinets. Did you use the glaze? Can't wait to see it all finished in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous, can't wait to see the final bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why did you use this instead of just sanding and priming?

    http://www.facebook.com/locustgrovedesigns

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! I can't wait to see how it looks too!

    @C@TheGiacobbeDiaries I do think it looks a little darker than the picture on the site but it still looks brown and not black. And is another reason we didn’t do the glaze. The glaze looks like it makes it darker.

    @Jaimie Nope didn’t do the glaze, didn’t want it too dark. ☺

    @Dawn Less mess with the deglosser and I was worried about over sanding. It was convenient to have it all in one package and only needed 2 coats of the paint it comes with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw the Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations product information on Centsational Girl too and was thinking about buying it when Mark and I renovate the condo! I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there!

    I too am looking forward to seeing the final product! That is a great color and a color that I would love to use. I tend to paint every cabinet and door in my home white because we don't get a lot of sunlight. I can't wait to see what your cabinets look like when finished. Maybe I'll be more confident to try a darker color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Tatum @ Many Moments Of Me

    Hey Tatum! I love looking at all the beautiful white cabinets everyone is doing these days. I probably would have done white if my counter-top wasn't already off white. Hopefully I'll be able to show you how it looks soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comment on my kitchen! I loved the Expresso, too. I did use the glaze, though...I thought my cabinets were too flat and the glaze helped add some depth...but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to do this to my kitchen! You beat me to the punch, Mal! Looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Diapers and Divas Aww thanks! I'd love to see it if you end up doing your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I came across your post on Whatever Goes Wednesdays. Great post... I need to do something similar with our hall bathroom cabinets, so I can't wait to see how your cabinets turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Love your bathroom! We are in the process of using this system to paint out kitchen cabinets. I've been reading a lot of reviews and I've found that a lot of folks have had problems with the top coat leaving the cabinets looking really streaky. It doesn't look like you had that problem--can you give me any tips on how to avoid that? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...