Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Travel Tuesday: Rome

Rome was not built in a day, nor can you properly tour it in one! But if one day is all you got (like me) here's a few must do's and tips. If you are new to my blog, I'm blogging about my Mediterranean cruise here.

1. Use the metro. There are only 2 lines - you won't be able to mess it up!
2. Try the train. Cheaper to do than an excursion. If you are taking a cruise you will be dropped off in Civitavecchia which is about an 80 minute train ride outside of Rome. A lot of people on our cruise took the train into town.
3. My husband had been to Rome in the summer before, he loved coming in November because it wasn't nearly as crowded. It's also much easier to site see when you aren't sweating to death. Just something to think about!
4. Watch your purse. You are in a big city. It's like any other big city. Especially on public transportation.

We ended up doing an excursion since I had never been and thought it would be easier. It worked out better for us to get a guided tour of a few things and explore the rest of the city on our own. Maybe that's best for first timers? Next time, I think we're going to take the train though.

Ok here we go! WARNING: TONS of pictures to follow!

Gotta see the Vatican! Doesn't matter what religion you are, it is AH-mazing! Our excursion included an inside tour. Which was worth it for them to point out cool stuff. :)







Check out the Colosseum which was also included in our guided tour.

Those little necklace things are what we used to hear our tour guide.

My husband is such a dork! (Love you babe! ha)

Check out the Trevi Fountain. Gotta throw in a coin so that you return one day!



The Pantheon - my husband kept saying the Parthenon (love how I'm calling you out babe? hehe)


Spanish Steps - where you can eat gelato like Audrey Hepburn

Check out St. Peter in Chains Cathedral. You can see the actual chains they placed on Peter while he was imprisoned. It is also home to Michelangelo's statue of Moses.

So there are a MILLION things to do there. Not including all the shops, food, art, history, and everything else there is something for everyone! Make sure you pick a couple of the TOP sites you want to see and map it out to decide where to go. Unfortunately, one day will not cover all it has to offer.

Any tips you want to share? My parents are thinking about going and I'm kinda writing these posts for them and others who are considering a Med cruise. :)

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! You and hubby are going to look back on this and be so happy you did this! FYI, you look so cute in that purple scarf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH!..love these photo's thanks for sharing I almost felt like I was in Rome~sigh~almost.
    Hey, I was wondering is the "mouth of truth" there?
    (it was also in that movie with Hep and Peck)
    ~JO
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! You've just brought back so many memories. Diapers and Divas have a special attachment to Rome. I studied there for 3 months in college, and Heather was proposed to by the Trevi fountain! I can't wait to go back someday. Thanks for the terrific memories!!!
    -Lani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE Rome! I was there with friends back in 1995 and it was one of the best trips of my life! Italy is absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...